Cloth masks are best for people who don’t work in health care. Here are some tips to keep in mind when making your own or looking for handmade masks:
- You can sew the fabric, tie it around your face, or fold it around some hair ties for ear loops.
- Use at least two layers of material.
- You might add a pocket for a filter. Be sure to take it out before you wash the mask.
- Add a copper or wire ribbon on the nose of the mask to help it fit better.
To buy other kinds of masks:
- Check hardware stores for dust masks. They look a lot like N95 respirators but don’t filter out as many particles.
- Neoprene masks can help stop the droplets that may carry the virus.
- Try using a neck gaiter — a piece of material tied in a loop — made of stretchy synthetic fabric. Fold it into multiple layers if the material is thin.